Monday, May 18, 2009

Through the Motions

The Motions
Matthew West

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,"What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,"What if I had given everything instead of going through the motions?"

take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way ('cause I don't wanna go through the motions)
take me all the way (I know I'm finally feeling something real)
take me all the way

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,"What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions?"

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,"What if I had given everything,instead of going through the motions?"

take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way (I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go)
take me all the way (through the motions)
take me all the way

I don't wanna go through the motions

I heard about this kid who posted Matthew West's lyrics on his facebook as a daily reminder to live a life of meaning - to not just go through the motions of a Christian life - but to be intentional about the actions he takes, to find meaning and purpose in it all - and to put his whole heart into it.

Several years ago, as I worked a summer at camp, I had to make this my prayer every day - not to go through the motions as a staff member - not to just push for the weekend, but to make each day worthwhile - to be a living example to the campers I worked with...

The same thing popped up a couple years ago as I worked in full-time ministry - the struggle to make my ministry a real tool for Christ, to make my life a shining example of Christ's love - to worship God to the fullest...

so many times in ministry (and even in my walk with Christ in general) I find myself just walking through it all...not really putting the effort into it that I need to. I don't read my Bible - and when I do it's a chore...
I don't spend quality time in quiet - away from noise, away from distraction
I worry about _____________

I kind of had a pivotal moment last week...a point in my life (as of late) where I decided to really let God take control of the things I was thinking and doing...
especially when it comes to the job hunt.
I had e-mailed my former senior pastor and spilled the confusion of my heart - basically some stuff about not feeling fulfilled in a menial job (at least assuming I wouldn't feel fulfilled simply because I know there's more to life than working for a paycheck)- about concerns with continuing in full-time ministry (repeating past mistakes)- about really just deciding to step out in faith and wait for God to open a door...

I guess now it's time to follow up on that moment and put more of my faith into action!
It's time to take everything in my heart, time to take all the things I so boldly proclaim to be true and right - and put them into action in my own life.

These lyrics are worth holding onto - are worth claiming as my own prayer for a life of meaning...a life of full personal, one-on-one experiences with the Creator!

No comments:

Post a Comment